Registration for 2021-2022 will open July 5, 2021.
The Independence registration process is completely online. All registrations require a PowerSchool Parent Portal account to register for school. Please contact any building to start the process and to receive your Parent Portal information.
The registration process for 2021-2022 will look very similar to last year. Independence has the same programs and same procedures.
- If you are new to the district, please contact your school building to get your student(s) into PowerSchool. You will then receive your Parent Portal information.
- You will use your PowerSchool Parent Portal for the registration process.
- You will receive a letter from InfoSnap informing you registration is now open with registration instructions. You will edit/add/delete all of the information in InfoSnap within your Parent Portal account.
- You will use MySchoolBucks to pay for registration and meal fees. You can link your MySchoolBucks account to your Parent Portal account.
- PK4 students (except St. John) will register using the online program.
- St. John K-8 students who come to Independence part-time will still need to register. You do not need to pay registration fees to Independence.
- BCSC students can pre-register. Shelly Bertelli will help you register during the first week of school.
- JSH student schedules for 2021-2022 will be available on the parent/student portal on August 4th. Schedule change meetings with the counseling staff will be on the follow days only, August 5th, 6th and 18th, beginning at 8:00 a.m. on a first-come, first-serve basis. With this system, please note students may have to wait to see a counselor. Students must have completed the Google form prior to any scheduling meeting with the counseling staff and should only come in if you meet the criteria.
JSH parking passes will go on sale, $20/year, at 8:00 a.m. on Wednesday, August 11th. To obtain a pass, the student must have/know the following:
Proof of school registration for the 2021-2022 school year.
- A valid driver's license or school permit.
- The make, model and color of the vehicle he/she is driving or will drive most often to school.
- The license plate number of the above vehicle.
- JSH student Chromebooks may be picked up in the Wrestling Room at the JSH. Students must be registered prior to picking up their Chromebook. Students are only allowed to pick up their own laptop and sibling laptops. Parents are not required to come, and there will not be any direction or instruction given at pick up time. Students are expected to charge the Chromebook and bring the Chromebook (fully charged) on the first day of school. Students who are not able to come during these times will receive their Chromebook on the first day of school during 1st period.
- Monday, August 9th from 9:00 a.m. - 1:00 p.m.
- Tuesday, August 10th from 4:00 p.m. - 8:00 p.m.
- Wednesday, August 11th from 9:00 a.m. - 1:00 p.m.
- Thursday, August 12th from 9:00 a.m. - 1:00 p.m.
- Friday, August 13th from 9:00 a.m. - 1:00 p.m.
- The registration process is phone and tablet friendly.
- If you need access to a computing device, please contact your building to setup an appointment. Appointment is required.
For questions regarding the registration process, please contact your student's building or Steve Noyes.
East Elementary | Grades PK-2 | Janette Hopkins | Kelly Wygant | 319-334-7425
West Elementary | Grades 3-6 | Janel Rathbun | Jami Tekippe | 319-334-7430
Junior Senior High | Grades 7-12 | Andria Anderson | Sherry Stevens | 319-334-7405
Registration letters will be sent on July 5th at 6:00 a.m. Even if you do not receive a letter, you will be able to log into your Parent Portal and the start registration process. If you need help with registration, please contact your student's building.
ECC and JSH will have computers available for anyone to use for registration. You must call ahead to schedule an appointment.
You must have a PowerSchool Parent Portal account to complete the registration process. If you do not have one, please contact your student's building to get started.
** Please note that this must be a parent account. Student accounts do not work. **
Registration process for each student.
- Log into your PowerSchool Parent Portal account.
- At the top, select the student you wish to register.
- Select the "Annual Re-Registration" icon (left side, about 3/4 down).
- Enter your student's birthday.
- Complete the form that opens in the window.
- Click "Submit" when finished.
Registration fees are expected at time of registration. You may pay the registration fees online in MySchoolBucks with a credit or debit card.
For cash or check, please drop payment off at one of the district buildings (East, West, JSH or Administration).
Please do not pay registration fees if you plan to apply for free/reduced fees. You may apply for free/reduced fees as part of the registration process through ApplyforLunch.
- Full: $
- Reduced: $
East Elementary (PK-2)
- Full: $
- Reduced: $
West Elementary (3-6)
- Full: $
- Reduced: $
Junior Senior High (7-12)
- Full: $
- Reduced: $
East Elementary (K-2nd)
- On August 23rd, the first day of school for the district, kindergarten thru second grade will not attend classes as we will be holding our Back to School Orientation. At that time, students and parents will have an appointment to come in to meet their teacher and bring in all school supplies. Scheduling will be open from August 9th - August 19th. Please watch the district website for the link to set an appointment for your child. If you have any questions please contact the East office at 319-334-7425.
West Elementary (3rd-6th)
- Orientation/open house will be Thursday, August 19th from 5:00 p.m. - 6:30 p.m.
- Wednesday, August 18th from 6:00 p.m. - 7:00 p.m.
- Any incoming 7th grade student who will be new to the Junior Senior High is welcome to attend with his/her parents/guardians.
- Tuesday, August 17th from 6:00 p.m. - 7:00 p.m.
- Any 8th-12th grade student who will be new to the district is welcome to attend with his/her parents/guardians.
- East Elementary
- West Elementary
- Junior Senior High
For questions or concerns, please contact the Activities Director.
Justin Putz | Activities Director | 319-334-7405 | Email
All JSH students will receive their assigned Chromebook on the first day of school.
As part of our evolution with the 1:1 learning devices, we have gone to paperless forms. Students will log into their Student PowerSchool Portal and acknowledge they have received the equipment. Parents may request an inventory sheet at anytime.
The JSH Acceptable Use Policy is available for your review and you will sign it during the registration process.
The Care and Maintenance video explains the expectations and care of the device. This video is required for all students and they will acknowledge this by answering the questions in their Student PowerSchool Portal.
For questions or concerns, please contact the Technology Director.
Steve Noyes | Technology Directory | 319-334-7400 | Email
With the fluid transportation situation, bus routes will be updated as they are finalized.
For questions or concerns, please contact the Director of Transportation.
Kim Chesmore | Director of Transportation | 319-334-7435 | Email
For a complete list of all our forms, policies, and handbooks, please see the Forms, Policies, & Handbooks page.