September 1, 2016 (Independence, IA) – With the 2016/2017 school year underway, the Independence Community School District (ICSD) would like to shed light on the hard work that often goes on behind the scenes during the school year and throughout the summer months; this is the work done by the ICSD Building and Grounds Department. There have been many facility improvements on all school campuses within the past school year that shouldn’t go unnoticed.
Superintendent Russell Reiter says, “The Independence Community School District is committed to providing safe, secure, and comfortable school buildings and facilities that provide for engaging learning environments for our students. In order to accomplish this, we have a specific long range facility improvement plan in place that lists the anticipated maintenance needs and purchases needed now and in the future.
Below is a list of various tasks that the Director of Buildings and Grounds, Chad O’Brien, and his team members have been hard at work on:
- Finished updating the kitchen at East Elementary
- Installed new doors at West Elementary
- Acquired a new bus
- Updated air conditioning at East Elementary
- Continued improvements on air conditioning at West Elementary
- Acquired new air compressor for East Elementary
- Add new carpet to areas at both East and West Elementary
- Laid concrete in various locations district wide
- Roof repair at both East and West Elementary
- Add new backboards at West Elementary
- Built shelter for outdoor classroom by existing garden
- Added playground safety tiles at East and West Elementary
- Continued work on new baseball fields
- Continued work on new softball fields
- Resurfaced track
Director of Buildings and Grounds, Chad O’Brien states, “It is extremely important for us to identify the facility needs of our school district for the both the present and the future. We work very hard to stay on top of all of our maintenance needs. By identifying these specific areas, it helps us be proactive in identifying our budget needs too.”
To see a complete list of projects completed in past years or to see a list of future projects, visit the ICSD website at www.independence.k12.ia.us. For more detailed information on past and future facility improvements, please contact Chad O’Brien at email@example.com.