April 27, 2016, (Independence, IA) – In the recent Spring Mustang Pride Newsletter, Jr/Sr High School Principal, John Howard, took a moment to recognize some of the 2015-2016 school year accomplishments.
Howard states, “One can find a virtual plethora of fascinating facts and interesting stories by simply typing “did you know” into any search engine. For example, did you know… one in ten people live on an island; 11% of people are left handed; and traffic lights were invented before the automobile? Also, did you know the ICSD Jr/Sr high School has a plethora of its own fascinating facts and interesting stories? Take a look at just some of the great things that happened in the 2015-2016 school year below.”
Did You Know?
- District-wide enrollment was UP this year!
- Coach Justin Putz has the best overall winning percentage as a head football coach, at 75%, since Emmett Allen in 1905.
- The varsity football team this year had the most wins in a season since 1973.
- This year marked the first in history that Independence had beaten Decorah in varsity football.
- Coach Michael Doyle got his 300th dual wrestling victory this year…in his 17th
- Matt McMillan became only the 3rd 4X state wrestling qualifier in history.
- We had two National Merit Scholars, Ross T. and Adam G. Both Ross and Adam scored in the top 1% of all students who took the P-SAT in the fall of 2015.
- Grace B. earned the highest score on the P-SAT this year (2016) in the school’s history.
- Independence was the only school at the 2016 Iowa Jazz Championships with 2 jazz bands!
- Three Independence students represented our school and community in the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade.
- A time capsule was buried in front of the school to be opened in 50 years.
- David Greene, a World War II veteran and participant in the Battle of Iwo Jima, spoke at our Veterans’ Day Program.
- Our art students received the most first place awards at the WaMac Art Show!
- Alaina K. became the first Independence student to sign to bowl at the collegiate level.
- The sophomore class earned the group incentive for Iowa Assessments as their complete composite was 88%.
- Brian S. earned the highest total score in the school on Iowa Assessments.
- The Independence School Board has made the National Career Readiness Exam a graduation requirement for the Class of 2017.
- Twenty Jr/Sr High students where recognized at the Eastern Iowa Reading Council Creative Writing and Poetry Contest.
- 86% of all HS students met at least one of the goal scores on Iowa Assessments.
- Archery was started as a club for Independence students.
- The new baseball and softball fields are progressing nicely and should be ready for the summer.
Principal Howard concludes, “These Did You Know stats and data are noteworthy and a credit to our hardworking students, parents and entire staff. What great achievements for the Independence Community School District. Go Mustangs!”
Click here to see the entire Spring Mustang Pride newsletter. For more information on the Independence Community School District, visit their website.