May 26, 2016, (Independence, IA) – On Saturday May, 21st the Independence Mustang Boys and Girls Track Teams competed in the Iowa State Track Meet at Drake Stadium in Des Moines; with both teams bringing home victories.
The Mustang Girls Track Team had multiple qualifiers including:
- 800 and Long Jump – Kaylee Hosch
- High Jump – Kaitlin Niedert
- 100 Meter Hurdles – Sarah VanDeWalle
- 4×400 Meter Relay – Jenna Price, Kaylee Hosch, Mackenzie Hupke, and Kaitlin Niedert
- Distance Medley – Izzy Dunlap, Kaylee Hosch, Kaitlin Niedert, Jenna Price (Alternates – Sarah VanDeWalle and Abby Meiborg)
- Sprint Medley – Sarah VanDeWalle, Izzy Dunlap, Kaitlin Niedert, and Jenna Price
- Shuttle Hurdle Relay- Sarah VanDeWalle, Madison Larson, Mackenzie Hupke, Allison Doyle
The girls 4×400 Meter Relay team, consisting of Jenna Price, Kaylee Hosch, Mackenzie Hupke, and Kaitlin Niedert, brought home a fourth place finish.
The Mustang Boys Track Team had two qualifiers at the meet:
1600 Meter Run – Ryan Adams
Wheelchair 100, 200, 400 – Ryan Peyton
Wheelchair Shotput – Ryan Peyton
Coach Hospodarsky states, “It’s great to see Ryan and Ryan’s hard work pay off this season. Qualifying for the state track meet takes hard work and dedication.”
Ryan Peyton’s efforts earned him a championship in the shot put, 3rd in the 100 and 400 and 2nd in the 200. His participation in the event earned Independence a tie for the team championship in the Boys Wheelchair Division. Peyton is the first athlete from Independence to compete at the state championship in the wheelchair division. Hospodarsky said, “Watching Ryan win the state championship after only competing for one year in the wheelchair events was great. What a huge accomplishment for him. We are very proud.”
Athletic Director Justin Putz states, “The track teams wrapped up a successful season by qualifying 13 events for the state track meet and placing in 5 events. It was great to see the growth and development of the programs this year”.
To learn more about the ICSD Sports Program, contact Activities Director Justin Putz at firstname.lastname@example.org. For more information on the Independence Community School District, visit their website.