February 29, 2016 (Independence, IA) – A century old bell with a history in the Independence Community School District is now on display again, this time in front of the Junior Senior High School building.
The Meneely & Co. bell came from Troy, NY and was originally hung in the Washington School Building, the first Independence High School, in 1888. The building was used as a high school until 1911, and then housed elementary students until 1959. The Washington building was eventually demolished and the bell was moved to the Jefferson High School building where it was stored until donated to the Buchanan County Historical Society.
The Buchanan County Historical Society displayed the bell at the “Gateway to the Past” building at the Buchanan County Fairgrounds and later at Heartland Acres’ one room school house before donating it back to the Independence Community School District.
The 128 year old bell is now housed next to the Junior Senior High School building’s main entrance, next to the flag pole.
Images courtesy of Buchanan County Historical Society.